John Reese's Traffic Secrets

All About John Reese. Hot Articles And Resources...


Virtual Real Estate - Hyper VRE A Spyare Software?

By now you may have come across references to 'HyperVRE.com', a website offering a free piece of Windows software that generates 'niche' websites for you automatically. Being in the business, and interested in 'VRE', or 'Virtual Real Estate', I have, of course, signed up for this service and downloaded / tested the free software. Here's what I found.

The software is interesting, and some considerable work appears to have gone into it. However, the complexity appears to be so extreme that it continually falls over on my XP machine. In order to get it to run to completion, I had to move it to my old Windows 98 system, where it took a not too unreasonable 35 minutes to generate a 120 page niche website.

The website was composed of static HTML pages, with references to my adsense code, and a number of RSS feeds relevant to the topic I had chosen. The process of generating the site is fairly simple, follow a dozen or so steps then you will be presented with a batch of html files you can upload to your web server with your FTP client.

There's nothing particularly difficult about the steps, you just enter a list of keywords (or select them from a file) and choose various other things such as RSS feeds, font colors and so on, then click the button to generate. After uploading to the web server, I could see the pages pretty much as they had looked on my windows machine, and the RSS feeds filled as expected.

So far so good. I then noticed something interesting - constant references to a site I am familiar with, and completely irrelevant to the topic of my niche. Upon further investigation, I discovered that you can 'brand' your copy of HyperVRE and give it to people. When they use it, the software 'secretly' (as it says on the HyperVRE website) inserts this affiliate's link all over every site you generate. Investigating further, I discovered that this MLM idea seemed to be the reason the software was free, as the owners of HyperVRE embed their websites in the generated html code too, as a quick check at the whois proved.

To make matters worse, my 'packetsniffer' alerted me almost immediately that the HyperVRE software itself was sneakily monitoring me - passing both my niche topic, keyword list, and other information back to the HyperVRE server whenever an internet connection was present - in other words, it was loaded with spyware.

There may be a way to disable the spyware, there may not. Of equal concern is the fact that the generated site had a HUGE footprint, no matter which one of the free 27 templates I chose, meaning that Google and other search engines would have no problem at all tracking down these generated sites and automatically banning them, together with my adsense account. The RSS feeds would also be a problem, as would the random definitions and articles - duplicate content on PR0 sites isn't good news, especially if the 'viral' idea embedded in it kicks in and large numbers of people start using it - obviously the owners have no control over who ends up with a copy and generates millions of spam pages with it.

So - pros:- It's free. Cons:- Pretty much everything else. Use it at your own risk, is my own personal opinion, and I would certainly not consider adding it to my arsenal. Oh, one final point, use a disposable email address for the contact when you sign up - the quantity of spam from HyperVRE is unbelievable, as is the attempted upsell to the 'silver / gold' edition.

By John Reese

--------------------------------
Get The Free Reese Report NOW: John Reese Shows You Exactly How to Make Big Money Online And Start Profiting From Your VRE Immediately. Free Issue! For A Very limited Time You Can Download A Free Copy Of The Most Valuable Internet Marketing Publication Ever Created...

Tags:


4 Responses to “Virtual Real Estate - Hyper VRE A Spyare Software?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    So have you gone after them yet for using the VRE acronym?  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    That's truly a pity, not that I expected too much more from the software but I have been a fan of Brad Callen’s for quite some time and it’s disappointing to hear these are filled with spyware.  

  3. # Blogger Kimberly Kimbrough

    Matt never answered about the footprint. That is the most important issue for me if I were to purchase. Thanks John for bringing this information to light.

    iPhone hack  

  4. # Blogger Kimberly Kimbrough

    I am using the software and it works great. The only thing is that in the actual files, there is a hyper vre script running in the source file and I cannot remove it from the template as it is automatically generated. this concerns me because it will make it easy for google to sandbox hyper vre sites if it so desires because someone will misuse it and then we will all get bagged.
    But otherwise, it's very convenient to use to get a site started.
    handbags  

Post a Comment



© 2006 John Reese's Traffic Secrets | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health